Friday, April 24, 2015

Extra credit blog post for missed Blog #2

                -Extra Credit Blog Post-
                -Option #2
 Andrew Subler
             
              A frequently discussed, and hotly debated topic in the Potter fandom is the subject of Albus Dumbledore’s sexuality. From book four onward, I had my sneaking suspicions about Dumbledore’s personal life, but it was never anything more than a suspicion! Yes, when J.K. Rowling let slip the truth about Dumbledore’s “wizard > witch” preference, I was surprised, but not shocked or offended! The backlash that followed the news of Dumbledore’s sexuality genuinely shocked me. I was raised to be accepting of anybody, and I have surrounded myself with other people who are willing to accept anybody for who they are, so as a result the news did not negatively affect Albus’s image in my mind.

                Many people protest Rowling’s decision to officially announce this characteristic of Dumbledore, but I am under the firm belief that Dumbledore’s true sexuality would have become canon in good time. I mean, nobody has Dumbledore’s mad sense of style, and his pet phoenix, Fawkes, is literally a flaming multicolored bird! All jokes aside, I have a hard time understanding how the man’s sexuality changes the dynamic of the story. The true change is only truly present in the mind of the reader, because the clues have been on the pages all along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.