Friday, April 24, 2015

Blog EC: Religious Critical Accusation

Growing up, I was never allowed to really read the Harry Potter series. I was born in 1995 so the publication of these books literally encompassed my whole childhood. While going through school, I never really felt left out of the whole “Harry Potter World” because my parents had told me that the books were “evil” and not something I would be interested in reading. I remember telling classmates who asked me if I had read them that I “hated Harry Potter” mainly just to avoid conversation about it. There came a certain time in upper elementary when I was permitted to read the first book. I remember really enjoying it and I continued on until maybe the third book. At this point I wasn’t really sure if I was actually allowed reading them, so I had my copies hidden under my bed or in my storage trunk. I do remember my mom finding me reading it and being upset with me because apparently she hadn’t okayed any further reading.

So for me, the most well known critizim of the Harry Potter series is that it entertains real-world occult practices. I personally think that the discussion has been beat more than an Arabian rug but for some people, this is a legitimate concern. Though I recognize that people cite the Bible’s condemnation of witchcraft I do not find Harry Potter’s use of magic to be overwhelmingly academic. I cannot find a better word for this so I will explain. When reading the series, I never found a time where there were exact and precise, realistic, instructions for a magical spell. Often these spells containted fantastical ingredients or concepts that simply do not exist. What I’m trying to say is that the Harry Potter series is not a spell book for occult practices. Though some of the spells cast may be just pure useful, such as oculus reparo or just pure fun to execute like Alarte Ascendare, I see none of them as an actual threat to be concerned by their existence. I think it is also important to point out that the wands used in the series are not tied to any demonic forces but the vitality of the wand comes from the feather of a phoenix. A freaking bird. Scary.  

Also, Harry Potter  is set in a fantastical world where the magic within it can be more closely compared to the special powers of the X-men: genetic mutation. It also operates in a clear set of rules and if you were to go beyond those rules, horrible awful things would come of you. The least of which would be turning into a normal looking, attractive young man and into a translucent, bald, nose-less creature.

Again I think it is important to rememeber that the magic used in the series isn’t to communicate with actual demons or to worship pagan gods. The only real-world occult practice that I really noticed was divination. Still the way that the practice was written about, J.K. Rowling caused the profesor of this topic to look like an idiot. Her predictions were known for being wrong and her demeanor was written to be similar to a hyped up hippie’s. For some people, The Harry Potter series is a valid concern to their faith, practicses and beliefs. Personally, I think that mature, well informed and steadfast readers can handle the series and its themes, just fine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.