I didn’t realize until it was mentioned in class earlier on
in the semester and then later expounded upon, that the epilogue was such a big
deal for people in the Harry Potter
fandom. I head that in class it felt like a disappointment to many people and
many wished that it had been executed in a different way.
When I first read the epilogue I was really confused at
first. I’m not a careful reader to begin with but I thought that the sudden
onset of names were confusing. Yes, I understand that there are a lot of
characters in the series, a lot of new faces to meet and old ones to discuss,
but these were repeat names such as Albus and James. It caught me off guard,
like who are these people, aren’t they dead? It took me forever to figure out
who the new Lily was.
Many people didn’t enjoy how far into the future it the
epilogue delved into. I think my biggest issue with the epilogue is how little
it went into the future in details. I enjoy the stories of Harry Potter just as
much as the next person, and seeing the books come to an end was really
painful. But seriously, this epilogue was like a dirty teaser. It was rude and
offensive because we all know how much more J.K. Rowling could’ve gone into
this section. How many pages did she fill to create this series? How many more
pages has she filled, spilling more secrets about Hogwarts? How much effort and
creative thought was put behind Pottermore and the movies and the sister
novels? She could’ve done so much more, we know it, and she knows it.
I thought the epilogue lacked creative detail. Sure, Rowling
wrote about the fog at the station and mentioned Malfoy’s receding hair line.
That was mere pleasantries for her. I
would’ve loved to hear about the Potter family trip to Diagon Ally.
There are some people who think that Rowling shouldn’t have
jumped ahead in the future that far. That detail didn’t bother me as much. I feel
like if the epilogue was going to do anything, it needed to look into the
future. The fact that Harry is now a grown man with kids didn’t exactly phase
me. I’m sure that if I had been younger and reading the books – like really
growing up with Harry and the gang like most of the kids my age – it would have
bothered me more. Harry Potter is married
and a dad??? Sure, that’s kind of gross for children and teens. But the
farther I progress into adulthood, these sorts of developments become more and
more expected. It actually makes me happy for Harry. Look! He hasn’t died! He
hasn’t felt the pain of his scar! Ron is still clumsy (drivers license
incident), Hermione is still a goddess, and Ginny is still sweet and caring. I’m
very happy for them, I just would like to have heard more about them.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.