The Harry Potter series comes to a close with a surprising sacrifice,
poignant moments, and a characterization clash with Dumbledore and Snape.
In the end, I was astounded by
Harry’s self-sacrifice! To me, this biblical allusion—in reference to Jesus
sacrificing himself for the sins of all—is the epitome of everything! Harry was
a Horcrux, meaning he had to die for Voldemort to cease.
Something
lost from the book to the movie in translation was the captivating conversation
between Harry and Voldemort. This face off is one of the most important scenes
in the books. It shows Voldemort insecure and ignorant. Harry shouts, “ You
still don’t get it, Riddle, do you? The
wand chooses the wizard” (D.H. 742).
Voldemort
wants to believe in the simple solutions; he ignored the rules, values, and
limitations which ended up bringing him closer to death. Dumbledore
corroborates this idea as well. At King’s Cross, Albus relays, “ Of house-elves
and children’s tales, of love, and loyalty and innocence, Voldemort knows and
understands nothing,” he continues, “ That they all have a power beyond his
own…a truth he has never grasped” (D.H. 709-710). This truly gives a clear
representation of Voldemort and his downfall—the need to care, even about
details. Seeking omnipotence, Voldemort
is crazed and fogged by what he does not know.
Powerful moments spoke
to me especially in Harry Potter and the
Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter
and the Deathly Hallows. One of the
most gripping, profound moments in the sixth book was when Harry offers
Dumbledore hope coming out of the cave; Dumbledore replies, “ I am not worried,
Harry, I am with you” (H.B.P.
578). Rowling creates a beautiful image
of trust, care, love and friendship. The young helping the old; Harry being bold,
trying to save another. Dumbledore places so much hope on Harry that it creates
a magical, unbreakable bond.
My feelings changed for
Dumbledore and Snape. First, Albus’s backstory of his family was frightening. I
saw another side of Dumbledore that I thought never existed. “ I wanted to
escape. I wanted to shine. I wanted glory” (D.H. 715). I wanted to believe that Dumbledore was
perfect, and the fact that he owns up to his mistakes shows that he is still
good and righteous at heart. Now the
latter, Snape, is an extremely complex character. Having seen his thoughts and
memories, I respect him and realized he was a good guy after all. When
Dumbledore asks Severus, “Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?” He
replies to the Doe ( a patronus of that of Harry’s mother), “Always” (687).
Snape protected Harry in honor and memory of Lily, the woman he loved. Being informed, I feel for Snape and see his
pain and struggle.
Lastly, Harry Potter has proven himself again and again to
be resilient and righteous. For someone who has lost so much, he has been
incredibly strong through the loss. Not only dealing with the killing of his
Godfather Sirius, but fighting the biggest battle within himself. In this vivid
account, Voldemort possesses Harry in the fifth book, screaming as Harry, “
Kill me now, Dumbledore. Death is nothing compared to this…And I’ll see Sirius
again…” (O.O.P. 816). Throughout the
last few books, Harry has struggled separating himself from Voldemort’s mind
and emotions; they’re intertwined; however, their cores differ. And Harry in
the end, does not fear death but walks toward it, awaiting it…and he found that
what he lost, is what he gained—life.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.