Coming to the end of the Harry Potter series for the third
time, I loved it even more than the first two times. This time through I felt
like I was able to notice many more details—because I had read it before, but
also because I have become more mature in my Christian faith. The last moments
in the Deathly Hallows perfectly
completed the theme of self-sacrificial love that had resounded through the
rest of the series.
This time through, the biblical allusions that Rowling made
were especially evident. The first things that I noticed were the bible verses
on James and Lily’s tombstone as well as Ariana Dumbledore’s. Even though Harry
and Hermione did not realize that these were from the bible, I do believe that
Rowling placed them there on purpose. The first time I read what was on Harry’s
parents’ gravestone I was just as confused as Harry. Harry says to Hermione, “’The
last enemy that shall be destroyed is death’… Isn’t that a Death Eater idea?
Why is that here?” (Deathly Hallows
328). However upon further thought, I connected the dots, just has Hermione
had— this meant “living beyond death. Living after death” (328). This
immediately brought to mind the gospel of Christianity. In short, Jesus Christ
was sent to the earth, both fully human and fully God, to die as a sacrifice
for the sins of the people that he loved—every person—past, present, and
future. He died and was resurrected three days later, conquering death. To me,
this is the same idea as the inscription on the Potter’s gravestone.
“The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death” is a
direct quote from the Bible in 1 Corinthians chapter 15 verse 26. Although his
parents did not conquer death, Harry did. After he sees Snape’s memories in the
pensive, he realizes that he must voluntarily walk to his death. Before his
death, Dumbledore explained to Snape that on the night that Voldemort tried to
kill Harry, the killing curse rebounded and tore apart Voldemort’s soul. One
piece of his soul latched onto the nearest living thing—Harry. While that part
of Voldemort’s soul is living in Harry, he could not die. Harry realized that
“his job was to walk calmly into Death’s welcoming arms” (691).
Fast forward to the Forbidden Forest as Harry is surrounded
by the shadows of his family. He is walking to his death in order to save the
ones that he loves—very similarly the way that Jesus voluntarily died in order
to save every person. After the killing curse is cast, Harry chooses to come
back to life to rejoin his friends and family. Harry fulfils the prophecy set
on his parent’s tombstone—he is resurrected and conquers death. Very literally,
living after he has died.
My feelings for both Dumbledore and Harry changed in the
last chapters of the Deathly Hallows.
I gained more respect for each of them than I ever had before. Dumbledore had a
long vision to defeat evil and did it in a way that he knew that it would be
accomplished. Harry was able to face his fear of death because he knew that the
outcome would be life for those who would live on after him. Each of those
actions are the epitome of the self-sacrificial love that we should strive for
every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.