Monday, February 2, 2015

Blog Post 1

I was first introduced to Harry Potter majorly through the films. I continued with the films and although I never read all of the books, I followed the movies a great deal. I think by first viewing the films instead of reading, the characters, Hogwarts, spells etc. were already presented which strips away the imaginative aspect. However, I think the visual introduction of a fantastic world at a young age is something that really intrigued me and began my fascination. Comparative with the films, after reading the first two books I still can visualize and feel captured in the fantastic world of Hogwarts.

J.K. Rowling does an outstanding job of incorporating multiple genres into her work to keep the reader fascinated and guessing. One of the obvious and previously stated genres would have to be fantasy. Fantasy to me is something special because it takes you away from a stable life of rules and regulations and opens up a brand new imaginative experience, something that a reader or viewer can indulge in and place themselves apart. Levitation, mythical creatures, flying cars, enchantments, they're all fantastic figments that have been summoned through imagination.

Aside from fantasy, the novels also encompass a more traditional genre: mystery. My first time watching The Sorcerer's Stone I didn't suspect Professor Quirrel which pleasantly played into the many surprises, and after reading the book I know for certain I wouldn't have suspected him then either. I feel mystery and fantasy compliment each other well, in a world where the only limits are placed in the hands of someone's imagination. Another reason I loved the introduction books and how they're written was the reader's connection with Harry, and how they are able to take on this introduction into a crazy world of witchcraft and wizardry together. Examples entail the countless adventures Harry is introduced to such as Diagon Alley, the flying car, his family history and enchantments throughout the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.