As the years have progressed I have
certainly learned to read books differently as an English major. Speaking
generally I find that little details can be very important, as well as actions rather
than what is being said amongst characters. In the first book Professor Quirrell’s actions
were something very important to take notice into consideration. It would be
quick to assume Professor Snape was the bad guy due to Harry’s opinion of him
and his general cold standoffish behavior. In reading these novels again I am paying
closer attention to the clues of each character and what they are actually
doing.
When I read Shakespeare for example
I have learned that not everything is what it seems. It is important to pay attention to what the
characters in his plays are saying but more importantly what they are
doing. The most memorable moment that
comes to mind now is in Henry IV Part I
and the character of Sir John Falstaff. Technically, he is a knight but his behaviors
would never let one to believe it. He doesn't practice the chivalrous behavior
a knight should embody. He lies, cheats, and steals. In the end once the
rebellion battle is being fought, Falstaff pretends to be dead most of the
battle so he doesn't really have to fight.
Although he claims his knighthood, by his actions we can hardly say he
fits the title and we know where his loyalties lie, primarily with himself.
Linking this back to the Harry Potter realm, when
we hear that someone is a teacher of Hogwarts, we want to assume that
Dumbledore has chosen the best person and someone he trusts. We assume that a
teacher wouldn't want to harm but protect the students there. We first encounter Quirrell in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone as Harry and Hagrid are making their way to
Diagon Alley. Quirrell is described as, “A pale young man made his way forward,
very nervously. One of his eyes was twitching” (Rowling 70). As he speaks to
Harry, Quirrell stutters almost every word he says involving Harry’s name and
the Dark Arts. When I first read this
book I thought this was a minor detail and that this guy was just weird, and I looked
over it. Now I noticed that it is an important characteristic of him. Throughout the rest of the novel Quirrell is
always doing odd things and this becomes a characteristic of the new Defense of
the Dark Arts teachers to come. Mad-Eye,
although it seems in character, is always drinking from his flask at all times.
Him being an auror, it seemed acceptable of to not trust anything he is
offered, but in the end it is another clue to who the bad guy is. Lupin had his
weird quirks as well. His shabby appearance and his noticeable exhaustion,
Lockhart and his self-absorbed attitude was also a sign that he had his own
secrets he was hiding as well. In the
end I have learned it is important to critically analyze and over think each
character. In many ways Harry does this himself. He observes everyone’s actions
and thinks in the extreme scenarios of what they are up to. Malfoy is the
perfect example. He knows that he is up to no good but he cannot easily
convince his friends of this. Since we
hear from Harry’s perspective it helps us question everyone he questions as
well.
Yes! I get overly excited with her references to Shakespeare! By using elements of other time periods, and genres, she creates a cauldron of creativity that has never been stirred--the result: a spell of success! In Othello, for example, Iago states, "I am not what I am." He is Othello's "friend", but to the audience, they see him directly for what he is, a liar. Professor Quirrell is a terrific example of deception, "the man with two faces".
ReplyDelete